Tuesday 13 December 2011

Behind the Scenes; The Young Apprentice

As mentioned earlier in the blog, I personally know Hayley Forrester who featured on the Young Apprentice until Week 6; the discount buying task. I took this opportunity to interview her regarding her experiences and thoughts about innovation and creativity. In her final episode, Lord Sugar explained: “I think I’ve concluded that, Hayley, you seem to be a person that stays in the shadow, you’re politeness is great and I know that your enthusiastic, but at this point in this competitive environment that we have here, Hayley… You’re Fired”. As she was driven away, Hayley said: “I feel Lord Sugar’s made a mistake in firing me, I wasn’t aggressive enough in the boardroom but then that’s not how I am as a person so I’m not going to be like that in the boardroom”. Certain questions couldn't be answered due to the signing of a confidentiality agreement at the beginning of the series, however, these questions are indicated.

Describe your overall experience of the Young Apprentice.
I found my experience on Young Apprentice very enjoyable, but hard working; which is obviously to be expected of the business world. I believe that it has finalised my plans of entering either the financial or business world.

What did you find most rewarding and challenging about working in a team?
I found the most challenging part of working in a team is that everyone wants their ideas to be listened to. I found the most rewarding part of working in a team that you have more ideas, which is very helpful.

How did you feel as Project Manager in Week 1?
I can’t answer this question sorry.

Do you prefer being the manager or a group member?
In business in general, I would say that I prefer to be the leader.

Do you consider yourself to be a team player or someone that prefers to work alone?
At times I prefer to work alone, however, I also believe that I am and can be a strong team player.

Did you, at any point, feel discouraged to share your ideas when under management of Zara, for example, who dominated the situation and pursued her own ideas disregarding those of others?
Sorry, I can’t answer this question.

Do you think that having a diverse, wide range of people in a group can aid creativity and innovative ideas?
I definitely believe that having a diverse range of people, will all have different views and ideas that can help bring practical, creative and innovative ideas.

To what extent do you believe management and leadership styles affects the innovation and creativity of other members?
I think that the manager has some control over the creativity and innovation of ideas, but only a small amount. I think that under the right supervision people will bring their own natural ideas.

Do you think individuals can feel reluctant to share their ideas because other people take credit for them when they are successful? How can this affect the team?
I think that people shouldn’t feel that they can’t take credit for an idea that is theirs.

What have you learnt from your appearance on the show?
I have learnt that business is definitely the profession I want to enter.

What would you consider the best way to ensure a group comes up with the most creative ideas?
I think that for a group to come up with the most creative ideas they must be confident in themselves.

In your final episode, Sir Lord Sugar said you were an enthusiastic and very polite individual but in the shadows and need to assert yourself more due to the competitive environment. What are your views on this? Do you agree?
I’m afraid I can’t answer this question.

What do you believe by the term ‘innovation’? Do you believe you are innovative?
I believe that innovation means that a person thinks 'outside the box' but still has profitability and the target market in account at all times.

Do you think creativity can be learnt or is it a natural gift?
I think that some creativity is natural, but I definitely believe that it can be enhanced.

Conclusion
Overall, it is evident that working in a team brings many challenges such as the willingness of each member to but their ideas forward; not always being listened to. This can hinder future participation, morale and motivation. Hayley believes “that the manager has some control over the creativity and innovation of ideas, but only a small amount. I think that under the right supervision people will bring their own natural ideas”. However, a leader’s management style can severely affect the degree of autonomy and scope of creativity for individuals.

No comments:

Post a Comment